Wednesday 31 October 2007

And so it begins...

A month into school and I finally feel like a real student. Things are different here. Classes are called Modules, and they are split into 2 sections, Lectures and Tutorials. There are case studies for every tutorial, mini presentations about those cases every class, applying theory from the lecture to it. That aspect of it is fine. The part that will get some taking used to is what they grade you on. I have NO tests or exams, my grades are solely based on coursework. Most modules have only 2 assignments that are to be turned in, both usually include a group presentation and an individual report. They are very concerned with word count, proper referencing and application of theory. The grading system here is different as well. They still have A,B,C but there are 3 levels to each. A1 is the highest you can get, A3 is the lowest of the A grades, and so on. To get an A3 is something like 70%, which sounds pretty simple, but from what i have seen and what i am told that is a difficult achievement.

So what have I done so far? well, I have been reading, attending every class, working in groups in preparation for various presentations, making small presentations in class, and i have finished one paper (which isn't due for another week). i hope that all the advanced preparation will help in the A1 grade that I'm looking for! But with this first paper I also hoping to gain some insight into how they grade, what they look for and how particular they are about things. We shall see. So school wise I have my work cut out for me. It may not sound like much, but i assure you that i will be busy.

Aside from school things are good. I have been working out at the gym here on campus, really nice place, and a good deal for students. I have met a lot of people, it is a very diverse school. There are 24,000 students and the majority of them are international... for instance, my close group of friends from my program are people from, Pakistan, Nigeria, Scotland, Thailand, Taiwan, China, Philippines, and in my flat are people from, Greece, Crete, Poland and the list goes on. I have met a few Canadians, one girl who lives beside me is from Quebec and i met a girl from Vancouver in the airport the day i landed here. There are plenty of social activities here, mostly on the other campus which is a short 5 min bus ride. So yes all is well in that department.

Melita and I are having a great time. It is so nice to finally be close to her! no more long distance is such a good feeling. I spend the weekend at her place with her family, we all get along really well. Throughout the week we see each other a couple night depending on my homework schedule etc. We have already been doing some traveling as you can see below, and we have some more trips planned.... next big one is Portugal in Dec, right before Christmas. That will be a lot of fun. I will be posting after that for sure with a couple pictures and a review of the trip.

Thats if for now
bye

No comments: